Birthwise is an equal opportunity employer.
Clinical Director (Posted 7/23/2020)
Birthwise Midwifery School is a small, non-profit, MEAC accredited school dedicated to training Certified Professional Midwives. We’ve been doing this for 25 years and continue to grow and innovate each year.
Our vision is that every person has access to safe and empowering midwifery care that is representative of them and their community. Our mission is to train skilled and compassionate direct-entry midwives who safeguard physiological birth by providing care that is informed both by tradition and scientific evidence.
We’re looking for a Clinical Director who will be a dynamic part of a leadership team dedicated to innovation, growth and birth justice.
Hours: 20hr/week during initial training, and gradually increasing to 40hr/week over the first year (negotiable, flexible scheduling available, PTO available)
Pay: $24-$30/hr (dependent on skill and experience)
We’re looking for someone who can do the following:
- Oversee the strategy and development of the clinical portion of the Birthwise curriculum, including skills learning, skills assessment, clinical rotations and preceptorship
- Collaborate with the Academic Dean(s) and Executive Director in the overall design of the Birthwise program
- Develop and maintain relationships with all Birthwise preceptors, ensuring they are onboarded, trained, and evaluated regularly and transparently, to ensure ongoing engagement with the school and optimal clinical training experiences for Birthwise students
- Develop and maintain relationships with all Birthwise students, providing guidance and support as they navigate the clinical portion of our program
- Balance the needs of preceptors and students, and mediate conflict as needed
- Provide leadership in anti-racism, anti-discrimination, and anti-bullying efforts at Birthwise, particularly as they pertain to preceptorship and clinical experiences
- A CPM with at least 3 years of experience in practice (or have attended over 100 births)
- Committed to birth justice and have experience in anti-racism and anti-discrimination work
- Passionate about direct entry midwifery education
- An excellent listener with the skills and ability to support students in difficult situations
- A strong leader who focuses on collaboration
- A team player who is at ease both helping teammates and delegating when needed
- An experienced supervisor who can coach and support junior staff as they grow in their positions
- Process minded, understanding that HOW we do something matters
- Comfortable working with new technology and learning new applications
The following qualities are highly preferred:
- Graduate of a MEAC accredited school
- Experience as a preceptor (either of MEAC school students, or other students)
- Post-secondary teaching experience
- Experience training/coaching/managing
We can offer:
- A commitment to approaching our work with an equity lens
- A casual environment- we celebrate our differences and want you to be comfortable at work
- A flexible environment- ideally working 5 days/week, but hours are negotiable
- A warm, bright and hard-working team of folks passionate about midwifery and out of hospital birth- our work has purpose and it brings us together
- Really excellent potlucks
To Apply: Please send resume/CV and a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications to [email protected]
Housing (Posted 1/22/2020)
Birthwise students are continually needing short-term and longer term housing for students in the Bridgton area. If you have a room, apartment, or house you would like to rent to students, send a description of the housing to [email protected].