This page communicates COVID-19 information for our school. Please read on for major announcements, a list of school decisions, a list of recommendations, and a list of resources for students and faculty. We’ll update as changes happen. Students, faculty, and preceptors, please watch your email for the latest updates. Here’s a list of all the emails you should have received.
After much consideration about the safety and well-being of our students, faculty, and staff, the Birthwise Board of Directors has decided to move all classes to online instruction through 07/31/2020.
Campus is closed to students and visitors until 7/31/2020. Our current plan is to resume in-person instruction for our Fall term, beginning in August. We will continue to monitor this situation and make changes as new information becomes available.
The board has also decided to cancel our Graduation Ceremony and modify our June Homecoming. Please see the email from 03/27/2020 for details.
These decisions were not made lightly. We appreciate your patience, bravery, and commitment! We are so proud of our community for their hard work, support, and resiliency as we move forward into our new– temporary–normal. Please take care of yourselves and each other. Find moments of joy, seek out and indulge in healthy comforts, and find new ways to gather in community.
For our health and safety, Birthwise staff is working remotely and/or staggering office days to maintain social distancing practices. Email is the best way to reach us, and you can also call the main phone number at 207-647-5968.
- All courses have been moved online through 07/31/2020.
- 2020F (incoming) students starting 04/30/2020: All first-term courses will be online. Do not plan to come to campus. See the 03/27/2020 email for your updated academic plan.
- New academic plans for each cohort are ready. Check your email for details.
Clinical Rotations & Preceptorships
- Short-term, local (in Maine) Clinical Rotations (CR1 for 2019F students) are discontinued through the end of the semester. We plan to assign new Clinical Rotations for the Fall 2020 semester. Please contact Robin for more information.
- We’re providing support to all students in preceptorship and evaluating each situation on a case-by-case basis. Check your email for details.
- Graduation Ceremony is cancelled and June Homecoming has been modified. 2020 graduates are encouraged to walk in 2021.
- Open Forums have been moved to virtual format and additional dates have been added.
- Other scheduled workshops are either being moved online or cancelled. Please see the Event Calendar for the latest information.
- We started periodic community-wide updates with information about decisions and resources. Make sure to check your email.
- We created a COVID-19 impact tracker to track impact on students and the support we’re providing.
- We’ve created this webpage, and will update periodically as new information becomes available.
- Practice social distancing as much as possible. Only go out for groceries, medical care, or other essential services.
- If you are sick, stay home. If you’re experiencing fever, cough, or shortness of breath, call your health care provider.
- Stand at least 6 feet away from other people when in public.
- Wash your hands frequently for 20 seconds. Here’s a great video.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with your elbow.
- Don’t touch your face, eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Do what you can to relieve your stress. We will get through this together.
The Canadian Government has recommended that all Canadians return home at this time. Please visit this website for the latest information.
- You’ll need to maintain your academic status by participating in online classes. Your session date remains the same.
- If you’re in a preceptorship, please reach out to Robin.
We’ve put together this list of resources to help you navigate the COVID-19 world in your work, your studies, and in your life
- CDC COVID-19 Updates
- Maine CDC Updates
- WHO COVID-19 Updates
- How to protect yourself against COVID-19
- Guide for living with worry and anxiety amidst global uncertainty
- National Association to Advance Black Birth Resource List
- Adjusting your study habits during COVID-19
- Free wifi hotspots
- Free Comcast Essentials internet plan
- How to get birth control during a pandemic
- Birthwise letter to airlines and housing
Preceptorship and Clinical Care Resources
- What Pregnant People Should Know (NYT 3/3/2020)
- Pregnancy and Breast/Chest Feeding (Romm. 3/10/2020)
- Evidence Based Birth resource page on COVID-19
Faculty and Online Teaching Resources
- How to be a better online teacher
- Keep teaching during prolonged campus or building closures
- Best Practices: Online Pedigogy (Harvard)
- Some humor- “I will survive, Coronavirus version for teachers going online”
Emails You Should Have Received
Check your inbox and spam folder for these important emails.
- 3/27 COVID updates
- 3/16 COVID updates
- 3/12 COVID updates
- 3/27 Academic Plan for 2020F
- 3/27 Academic Plan for 2019F
- 3/27 Academic Plan for 2019A
- 3/27 Academic Plan for 2018A
- 3/27 Letter for graduating students
- 3/12 Letter to airlines and housing
Preceptors and Precepting Students
- 3/27 Clinical Rotation update for 2019 F cohort
- 3/27 Preceptorship Update
- 3/17 Clinical Recommendations
- 3/16 Clinical Rotation update for 2019 F cohort
- 3/12 Clinical Recommendations
- 3/16 email update
- 3/27 Faculty Letter
- 3/18 Faculty Letter
- 3/12 Faculty Letter