Apply for the Midwifery Program
Apply your experience. Apply your calling. Apply your passion for midwifery care.
We’re excited that you want to apply for the Birthwise Midwifery Program. Birthwise does not discriminate based on sex, color, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, parenting status, ethnic origin, age, or physical ability.
Admissions is closed for 2021 Campus.
Classes begin April 14, 2021
Classes begin August 9, 2021
How to Apply for the Midwifery Program
You’ll need to gather the following information for your online application (link). Please note that you must submit all documentation, your short question answers and your essay in pdf format. We do not accept photos of documents, or documents in other formats such as Word or Google Docs.
- Download the application instructions in pdf
- Prospective Student Guidebook(includes the Financial Aid Information)
- Tuition & Fees
Pay Your Application Fee
Applicants, please pay your $50 application fee by credit card. Your application won’t be processed until we receive your application fee.
Information & Documentation
You’ll need the following information to complete your application:
- The name, address and dates of ALL education programs, courses and institutions you’ve attended
- Previous experience, number of births attended, if applicable
- Certification and/or coursework related to maternity care, if applicable
- Documentation (pdf only) that you’ve registered for a completed doula training workshop. You can take a workshop at Birthwise (link) before the start of each program.
- Documentation (pdf only) that you’ve registered for or completed a CPR training.
- The first 3 digits of your Social Security Number.
Please provide names, email addresses and phone numbers for three people who will write you letters of reference.
- A midwifery or birth-related connection, if possible
- A work-related or professional connection
- A non-family personal reference
- The name and location of the mentor midwife you current work with or would like to work with, if applicable
Short Answer Questions
Please answer the following questions thoroughly, thoughtfully and concisely in paragraph form. Please answer each question in 250 words or fewer, then copy/paste your answers into your online application (link) in the appropriate fields.
- Why have you decided to pursue training as a Certified Professional Midwife (CPM) rather than a Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) or Certified Midwife (CM)?
- Describe the legal status of CPMs in the state where you plan to practice midwifery.
- Describe any experiences/interests that have contributed to your decision to pursue midwifery training (e.g., birth experiences and/or experience in a related field). How have these experiences shaped your decision to pursue training as a CPM?
- Why do you want to attend Birthwise Midwifery School in particular?
- When imagining yourself as a midwife is there anything that makes you apprehensive?
What is your familiarity with the idea of social justice? How do you see this concept intersecting with the work of midwives?
- What is your logistic plan for completing the Midwifery Program at Birthwise, especially the preceptorship?
- Optional: describe any health or learning challenges that may impact your experience at Birthwise. Please share any strategies, modifications, or accommodations that have supported your success despite these challenges.
Formal Essay (pdf)
In a single essay of 1500 words or fewer, address the following prompts to highlight your strengths as a prospective midwifery student. Save your essay as a pdf and upload it to your online application.
- Describe your introduction to, and interest in, midwifery and birth. Why are you on this path?
- What are your personal strengths? How will these strengths help you become an excellent midwife?
- How does the practice of midwifery reflect your personal philosophy of pregnancy and birth?
- After school, what do you hope to accomplish as a midwife?